A couple of months ago, I shared a recipe for managing Ewan’s eczema. Thinking that we could finally put this battle to rest with the discovery of compatible toiletries, we were surprised to find that his skin condition continued to deteriorate. The red and coarse patches of rashes around his eyes, cheeks and chin would flare up in less than a day but take around 2-3 weeks to heal. Then before we could joyously whisper “Yay, his skin looks good today!”, the rashes would come back.
Not only an eye sore, these rashes itch and disturb Ewan’s sleep too. We have tried every means and ways to manage his eczema which include:
1. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!
2. Consulted pediatricians after pediatricians
3. Wearing socks on his hands when he sleeps every night
4. Trimming and filing his nails every 2 days to prevent scratches on his face
5. Adjusting and trying various room temperatures
4. Cleaning his bedsheets and toys on a weekly basis
5. Investing in an air filter
6. Investing in a humidifier as he sleeps in air-conditioned room nightly
7. Separating him and Odee to eliminate pet fur as an allergen
8. Trying and throwing out more skincare products from Sebamed Baby, Cetaphil and Eubos Bath Oil, Azeera and more. He currently uses Oilatum as bath oil, Buds Top to Toe Wash as shampoo, Physiogel AI as face cream and Aveeno as body cream. Thanks to Bi Qiu for her sample organic coconut oil which works wonders in calming his skin.
9. Going on an elimination diet
10. Trying various traditional remedies ie. Olive oil
11. Keeping him cool and dry at all times
12. We’re desperate for a solution, hence we seek help from God(s!) too!
I’m also guilty of feeding him prescribed anti-histamine at the first sight of his rashes. Once in a blue moon, when the condition gets really uncontrollable and affects him badly, we would apply some prescribed steroid cream on him.
We were trying to pinpoint the allergens that trigger the rashes but so far, nothing seems really absolute. Could it be food? Dust mites? Pet danders? Heat?
We need a genie.