Since my last post regarding my iHerb purchase #3, I have bought and shipped over four more parcels of goodies from them. My recent purchase was the largest, with 95 items weighing over 32kg in total that they delivered the products in two separate parcels. Don’t worry, I haven’t become an iHerb hoarder (although I’m almost there!). This purchase was a combined order with two other friends here to save on shipping cost via DHL Express – International.
My items comprised around 25% of the order, and I paid US$16.40 for my share of postage. That’s around extra RM2 per product. Not too bad considering I usually pay a lot more for the same amount of stuff.
Two important things I learned from this group purchase or rather, buying from iHerb:
(a) If you’re buying a lot at one go, I’d recommend splitting them into 2-3 orders. Due to the number of items and weight of each box, not all our products arrived in pristine condition. One of the boxes was damp and damaged as a bottle of surface cleaner leaked and spilled all over. The bottle was empty by the time it reached me. Luckily for us, most of the items came in proper packaging except for my chocolate bar which I had to throw away because the solution seeped into it. Upon highlighting this to iHerb, they promptly apologized and refunded the amount for damaged items to me.
(b) For buyers residing in Dubai, please note that a 5% customs charge is applicable for purchases above US$270 no matter which site you are buying from. I only got to know about this when the DHL guy appeared at my doorstep with an invoice of AED149. Darn…
Some of the items were repeated purchase. Here’s a quick review on the products we have used before and are very satisfied with:
1. Everyday Shea, Shea Butter Shampoo & Body Wash, Calming Lemon-Lavender – Both my kids use this as hair shampoo and body wash. I like that it’s chemical-free, mildly scented and contains really gentle ingredients such as shea butter, lavender essential oil and virgin coconut oil. It also has a hint of salty smell due to sea salt being one of its ingredients but it doesn’t really bother me. In fact, sea salt helps with skin health.
2. Dr. Woods, Shea Vision, Pure Black Soap – If you like the smell of baby powder, you’ll like this soap! Hubby and I use this to wash our face and body. When we go on a holiday, I’ll fill this up in a small container for the whole family to use as its all-natural ingredients made it gentle enough for children too. It’s very multi-purpose and can also be used for laundry and cleaning of dishes, floor, toilet etc. Plus it gives a good value for money because one big bottle (946ml) can last us for more than six months. Highly affordable.
3. Nurture Inc. (Happy Baby), happypuffs, Banana Puffs – Xan loves this. E used to, too! She has tried the strawberry flavour too.
4. Nurture Inc. (Happy Baby), Baked Organic Cheese & Grain Snack – Xan enjoys eating this. I personally like it too. Not much taste but still yummy.
5. Hyland’s, Complete Allergy 4 Kids – I’ve stopped E on anti-histamine medicines and give him this homeopathy remedy whenever he shows signs of allergy. It works to a certain extent if taken consistently until the symptoms subside. However, I recently read that the efficacy of homeopathy remedies will be depotentised if they are placed next to strong-smelling foods or go through metal detectors. Since this is shipped from US, they may or may not go through the machine. I’m giving it the benefit of doubt for now.
6. Nature’s Way, Alive! Whole Food Energizer Multi-Vitamin – Hubby is on his third bottle already. I noticed a surge in energy if he takes this on a daily basis. He no longer appears tired or complains of fatigue. He falls sick less frequent too.
I’m always keen on trying new stuff! Below are the other items that I have bought but never tried before:
7. Amazing Grass, The Amazing Trio, Barley Grass, Wheat Grass & Alfalfa – Thinking to add this in my daily beverages. It was on a very cheap trial price.
8. Chocolove, Almonds & Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate – Read rave reviews about it. Being a big fan of chocolates, I have to have it!
9. Nurture Inc. (Happy Baby), Organic Baby Food, Gobble Gobble – My emergency food for Xan just in case we can’t find anything for her to eat in London. Very unlikely but better to be prepared. I don’t think she will enjoy this though.
10. Yummy Earth, Gummy Bears, 4 Flavors – I love to spoil my kids once in a while. Since real, sugar-packed candies are a big no-no to me (as if there’s not enough sugar in our daily food!), this is a good alternative.
11. Bragg, Liquid Aminos, Alternative to Tamari & Soy Sauce – I use a lot of soy sauce in my cooking. Giving this a try because it is supposedly healthier.
12. Bob’s Red Mill, Toasted Carob Powder – A friend told me this is a caffeine-free alternative for cocoa powder. Going to bake chocolate cake with this one day and let you know if it tastes the same!
13. ChildLife First Defense and ChildLife Echinacea – These are for E. I decided to switch to this from his regular Nature’s Plus Animals Parade multivitamins which he has been taking and has had many bottles of it. While Nature’s Plus did good for him and lessened the severity of common cold/flu, he’s beginning to dread eating them every morning. Time for a change!
14. Nurture Inc. (Happy Baby), Happymunchies, Baked Organic Cheese & Grain Snack, Broccoli Kale & Cheddar Cheese – Another flavour for Xan to try.
15. Seventh Generation, Multi-Surface Cleaner, Lemongrass Citrus Scent – My part-time cleaner uses the surface disinfectant I bought here so quickly that I have to look for a cheaper option. I’m not comfortable using those loaded with chemicals so here’s hoping this will work as well too.
16. Badger Company, Sleep Balm, Lavender & Bergamot – Who needs a good night of sleep? Me! I can’t stop the baby from nursing, but I can help myself to snooze better 😀
17. Munchkin, Auto Seat Protector – This is pretty affordable! We bought one in a baby shop but it was the last in stock and they have not replenished it for months.
18. Giovanni, Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo – I previously tried Giovanni’s Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo but didn’t like it as it made my scalp itchy. I didn’t make my hair smooth as silk too. This one has got good reviews, so I’m going to give it a go.
19. Clean Well, All-Natural Hand Sanitizer Spray – It’s alcohol-free, small and perfect for holiday or outings. Handy when there’s no water around. Will be bringing this to London with us.
20. Xlear Inc, Kid’s Spry, Tooth Gel with Xylitol – I’m trying to stay fluoride-free, and since E hasn’t really gotten the hang of spitting yet, it’s better to get something that’s safe to swallow. Just in case.
21. Blum Naturals, Daily Cleansing & Makeup Remover Towelettes – As I don’t put on make-up often, it makes more sense to buy make-up remover wipes than the cleansing solution and cotton pads. I’m currently using Simple but don’t like how dry it makes my skin feel after that. Not easy to remove as well. This is cheaper than Simple.
22. Ecover, Natural Stain Remover – The cleaning solution for lazy people like me.